Frequently drying clothes inside the house is not good for your health.

Do you frequently dry clothes inside the house Heres why you should stop doing so Image for representation
Features Health Monday, June 12, 2017 - 19:24

Monsoon is a much awaited season in India. It brings with it respite from the scorching heat of the summer, fills our water bodies and generally makes for a feel-good season.

However, the moisture level shoots up too and it takes time to dry almost anything, like the floor after mopping, and especially clothes after washing.

A lot of us end up drying clothes inside the house, on hangers and on the edges of the bed or chair. Some of us are of course plain lazy, or do not have an option but to hang wet clothes to dry inside.

That’s a bad idea since clothes that don't dry properly will end up smelling musty.

But most importantly, frequently drying clothes inside the house is not good for your health.

Dr Nick Osborne, a senior lecturer in Environmental Health at the University of NSW and an expert in damp, recently told Kidspot, that drying clothes inside the house can possibly lead to a growth of mould and dust mites.

Another senior research fellow at the University, Dr Christine Cowie, explained to the publication, how dampness can attract a variety of fungus, bacteria and viruses.

"From a health perspective," she said, "many biological agents are found indoors and they usually thrive on dampness and inadequate ventilation. They have found that dampness itself has been a good indicator of risk of asthma and respiratory symptoms. There are other studies that show inhalation of fungal spores…are linked to allergic sensitization and asthma."

In March The Sun reported that the Asthma Society of Ireland had issued a warning to people asking them not to hang wet clothes inside their houses.

The warning said that hanging wet clothes inside can increase the moisture in the room by nearly 30% which in turn encourages the mould growth.

"Moist environments encourage the growth of mould which can release 'seeds' called spores. The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people. Mould and fungal spores are often invisible to the naked eye," Pheena Kenny of the Asthma Society of Ireland, told RTÉ.

Those with asthma, skin problems and a weak immune system, along with children and the elderly, are likely to be affected the most. The Aspergillus fumigatus spore can also cause lung infection.

Professor Denning at the National Aspergillosis Centre in Manchester told The Huffington Post, that one load of washed clothes contains nearly two litres of water which is released into the room.

"Most of us are either immune to the fungus which grows in these humid conditions, or have a sufficiently healthy system to fight the infection. But in asthma sufferers it can produce coughing and wheeziness, and in people with weak or damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, Aids patients and people who have an auto immune disease, the fungus can cause pulmonary aspergillosis – a condition which can cause irreparable, and sometime fatal, damage to the lungs and sinuses."

"My advice would be when in doubt dry wet washing outside, in a tumble dryer or in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living areas to be safe rather than sorry," he added.