Dilwale controversy: Screening resumes in coastal Karnataka with police protection
Twelve days after Shah Rukh Khan-starrer Dilwale screening was stopped in multiplexes in Mangaluru by Bajrang Dal activists, the movie’s screening have resumed along with police security.
On Friday, the three multiplexes in Mangaluru had resumed screening after the city police provided security.
Director of Big Cinemas Balakrishna Shetty told The News Minute that police personnel had been deployed inside and outside the theatre premises.
“Of the four shows we plan on screening today, one is already over. There have been no issues so far. There has been a good response from the public but the crowd is less and I am assuming it’s because today is a working day. We hope it becomes better during the weekend,” he said.
The film’s screening was stopped across theatres in Mangaluru on December 20 allegedly due to intimidation by Bajrang Dal activists who objected to Shah Rukh Khan’s comment over intolerance in November 2015. They also protested against screening of Aamir Khan films over a similar issue.
Vidya Dinker, a social activist had filed a case against the members of the right-wing group protesting against the screening. Following the complaint against the Bajrang Dal, she was threatened with death and rape by right-wing activists on Facebook and 22 people were booked on December 24 under sections of IPC including wanton vilification or attacks.
Sharan Pumpwell, Karnataka president of the Bajrang Dal, had told The News Minute that the activists had “requested” the theatre owners to stop screening and that the owners only respected the sentiments of the activists.
However, theatre owners did not resume screening, even when Home Minister G Parameshwara assured security and protection from Hindutva groups for theatre goers in the district. They feared for the future of their business if they went ahead with the screening.