Actor Dileep who has been housed in Aluva sub-jail was released for two hours on Wednesday to perform the rites on the death anniversary of his father.
He was released at 8 in the morning on the conditions that he will not use mobile phone, will follow the investigating officer’s directions and will not misuse the court order.
The judicial first class magistrate court in Angamaly had granted him a two-hour break from jail to carry out the rites. Though earlier reports had suggested that the rites will be held at Manapuram, the latest reports stated that it will be held at his residence in Aluva, which is two kilo meters away from the jail.
Scores of people gathered outside the jail to see the actor coming out.
The actor’s lawyer had told the court that he has been performing his father’s rites since 2008, but the prosecution said that he didn’t attend any such rites last year.
But the court granted permission to carry out the rites on humanitarian grounds.
Police arranged high security outside the jail prior to the brief release of the actor.
A DySP with four Circle Inspectors were leading the security arrangements outside the prison.
The repeated attempts of the actor’s lawyer to secure bail for him turned futile and this was the first time in the past one and half months that he stepped out of the jail’s compound.
Fearing a security breach, the court proceedings in the case were held through video conference.
On Saturday, Dileep’ wife and actor Kavya Madhavan, daughter Meenakshi had visited him in jail, 55 days since the actor’s arrest.
Following this, on Sunday, a stream of Mollywood celebrities including director Ranjith Balakrishnan, actors Harisree Ashokan, Kalabhavan Shajohn, Suresh Krishna and Jayaram had visited Dileep.
The actor was arrested on July 10 in connection with the kidnapping and alleged assault of one of his female colleagues.