When 9-year-old Hardik Jena got hurt while playing in the school corridor, little did his family know what would befall him later. Hardik was a third standard student at Glendale Academy International School in Sun city, Hyderabad.
On January 27, while playing in school, Hardik hit a glass pane on his class door leading to a cut on his hand at around 10 am. As per procedure, first aid was administered to him and he was taken to Olive hospital in Mehdipatnam around 10:45 am, accompanied by the school nurse and teaching faculty.
The parents were informed immediately by the school authorities and when they reached Olive hospital. The parents say they got a little surprised as the doctors suggested going for a surgery for such a minor injury. But they later agreed for the surgery after a plastic surgeon Dr. Srikanth Kathi observed the deep cut on their son's hand and advised to go for it.
Hardik's father, 36-year-old IT professional Ashish Jena told The News Minute, â€śAfter undergoing a minor surgery around 7:30 pm that day, my son's condition started deteriorating, and he was later shifted to ICU. We were not allowed to see him as he was already in danger by that time. Our son died later. This was a case of negligence of the doctors and the hospital authorities.â€ť
â€śNo one was there to attend to our son for 10 hours after admission to the ICU and I strongly feel that my son breathed his last while undergoing treatment and the hospital authorities were just pretending that he is alive,â€ť he added.
Even after the deep cut, Hardik was healthy and active, as he was playing games on his father's phone. Only after the alleged overdose of anesthesia and medical negligence, his condition got critical, claims the father.
Ashish further said, â€śI should have taken my son to some other hospital which at least doesn't kill people for money but unfortunately I couldn't do that and it is our bad luck that we lost our only son due to negligence of the doctors.â€ť
The parents lodged an FIR against the hospital at Langer house police station alleging that their son had died due to medical negligence of the hospital authorities. The immediate report after the childâ€™s death stated that he died due to cardiac arrest post anesthesia.
Md. Jaheed, Sub-Inspector, Langer house PS told TNM, â€śYes, the parents have filed an FIR against Olive hospital on January 28, the investigation is going on and we are waiting for the postmortem report of the child for further investigation. As soon as the postmortem report comes from Osmania Hospital, we will send the reports to AIIMS, Delhi for further investigation of the case.â€ť
Other parents from the school who came to know about this tragic incident have demanded strict action against the hospital authorities.
In the light of other parentsâ€™ apprehensions about a similar incident happening to their children, the school authorities have agreed to tie up with another hospital in the city for future medical emergencies.
Sheyna Ali, another parent who received news about Hardik's death told TNM, â€śI wasn't at the school that day, but all the parents received a mail about Hardik's death from the school authorities. No child dies with a minor injury like that. He got a small cut on his hand on January 27 while playing and he was immediately taken to Olive hospital by the school authorities.â€ť
Ashish said, â€śAfter the tragic incident, the hospital asked us to pay around Rs 1,78,000 which I clearly refused as itâ€™s an open fraud and I only paid Rs 3000. Earlier they pressurized us to pay the bill but after we lodged a complaint against them, they wanted to escape and settle the matter.â€ť
He added, â€śThis hospital only charges bills for killing people, we will take pursue the case against the hospital and doctors who are responsible for my son's death. We are just waiting for the postmortem report and then we are also planning to file a case against the hospital.â€ť
The postmortem report from Osmania hospital is expected to come within the next 30 to 40 days. Despite repeated attempts, no one from the Olive hospital was ready to speak.