The Delhi government on Monday annnounced a six-day lockdown from 10 pm on April 19 (Monday) till 5 am on April 26 (next Monday). Addressing the public on Monday, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said this is being done as a precaution to curb the rising cases of COVID-19. In the last 24 hours, around 23,500 COVID-19 cases were reported in Delhi, CM Arvind Kejriwal.
In the week-long lockdown, essential services, food services and medical services will continue. Weddings can be held with a gathering of only 50 people and passes will be issued separately for the same. A detailed order will be issued shortly, Kejriwal said. He also asked citizens of Delhi to stay in Delhi and not try to travel out of the city to evade the lockdown.
All other private offices establishments, shops, shopping centers, malls, weekly markets, manufacturing units, educational and coaching institutes, cinema and theatres, restaurant and bars, auditoriums and assembly halls, entertainment/amusement/water parks, public parks and gardens, sports complexes, gyms, spas, barber shops, saloons, beauty parlors, swimming pools (except being used for training of sports persons for participation in national and international events), construction activities (except where labourer are residing onsite) etc shall remain closed during curfew.
All social political/sports/entertainment/ academic/cultural/religious/festival related and other gathering and congregations shall be prohibited. Religious places shall be permitted to open, but no visitors shall be allowed.
"In last three to four days, around 25,000 cases have been reported. Positivity rate as well as the infection have also increased. If 25,000 patients come every day, then system will crumble. There's a shortage of beds as well ICU beds are nearly over. There are less than 100 beds available. There is a shortage of oxygen as well," Kejriwal said.
In an order on the lockdown, the government has said that movement of essential goods and those employed in essential services will be allowed. Government officials, judicial officers, police, and medical personnel will be allowed to move around but will have to show their ID cards for the same.
The following are exempted from the lockdown but all have to show valid ID cards to move around during the lockdown timings.
- Pregnant women and patients for getting medical or health services along with attendant, they need to produce a valid ID card or doctor's prescription or medical papers.
- Persons who are going for COVID-19 testing or vaccination
- Persons coming from/going to Airports/Railway stations/ISBTs will be allowed to travel on production of valid ticket.
- Officers/officials functioning in the offices of Diplomats of various countries as well as persons holding any constitutional post on production of valid I card.
- Those employed in electronic and print media on production of valid ID card.
- Persons/ students shall be allowed to appear in examination on production of valid Admit card. The examination staff deployed for exam duties shall be allowed to travel on production of valid ID card.
- There shall be no restriction on inter-state and intra-state movement transportation of essential goods. No separate permission / e-pass will be required for such movements, Movement of persons related to commercial and private establishments / offices providing following services/commodities shall only be allowed.
- Shops dealing with food, groceries, fruits & vegetables, dairy & milk booths, meat & fish, animal fodder, pharmaceuticals, opticians, medicines and medical equipments, news papers distribution can remain open
- Banks, Insurance offices and ATMs, SEBI/ Stock related offices. HI. Telecommunications, Internet services, Broadcasting and Cable services, IT and IT enabled services is allowed.
- Delivery of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipments through e-commerce will be allowed petroleum and gas retail and storage outlets. vi. Water supply, Power generation, transmission and distribution units and services. vil. Cold storage and warehousing services.
- Petrol pumps, LPG, CNG will be open
- Private security services will function
- Manufacturing units of essential commodities.
- Manufacturing units of non-essential commodities having onsite workers. Production units or services, which require continuous process
- Delivery of food by way of home delivery/take away by restaurants/eateries.