The 54th City Civil and Sessions Court also ordered the convicts, Raju Medhi and Balin Das, to pay Rs 25,000 each.

Cubbon Park rape case Two security guards sentenced to life imprisonmentRepresentational image
news Crime Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 12:00

Two security guards in Cubbon Park, who were convicted of raping a 30-year-old woman hailing from Tumakuru, in 2015 were sentenced to life imprisonment by a Bengaluru court on Monday.

The  54th City Civil and Sessions Judge M Latha Kumari further ordered the convicts – 28-year-old Raju Medhi and 38-year-old Balin Das, both hailing from Assam, to pay Rs 25,000 penalty each, reported The New Indian Express.

The Hindu reported that Public Prosecutor Chinna Venkataramanappa argued that the convicts should not be let out on parole even on good conduct.

On November 11, 2015, the woman, who had come to apply for a Karnataka State Lawn Tennis Club membership, lost her way inside the park and sought directions from both guards. The guards promised to help her, but instead took her to a deserted stretch near Siddalingaiah Circle and raped her.

The next day, Cubbon Park Police Inspector C Balakrishna told The News Minute that the alleged incident took place around 9:30 pm, and it came to light when a night beat sub-inspector found the woman sitting in the park at 2am.

The Cubbon Park police arrested the two guards based on the woman’s testimony and a detailed chargesheet against the perpetrators.

The horrific incident shed light on the lapses of the security contractors who were supposed to carry out thorough background checks before hiring security personnel.  

The incident led to massive outrage, and comments made by Home Minister G Parameshwara, who held the same ministerial berth then, only added fuel to the fire.

"Why should a woman go to play tennis at 9.30 in the night?" he had reportedly said.

Read: Dear Karnataka Home Minister, this is exactly the question you don't ask when a rape happens

Reacting to this then, Union Minister of Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi had sought his resignation.

“Not only is it insensitive, it doesn't send the right message. If he is not interested in his work. He should step down," she had said.