news Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:30
Picture Courtesy : Reporter TV and Manorama News   The situation at the Kozhikode airport in Kerala, where one  Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) jawan died and two airport authority staff injured after a clash broke out on Wednesday night, is under control and the staff have resumed normal operations.    Though the airport had been temporarily closed and two flights had been redirected to Nedumbassery airport in Kochi on Wednseday night, one flight from Dubai was later allowed to land at the airport.   Airport authorities have said that the officials involved in the incident will be transferred.   CISF jawan SS Yadav was identified as the deceased. Reportedly, he was killed when a firearm in his possession went off accidentally. The tussle began when the CISF refused to entertain airport staff’s demand to avoid them from being frisked as they had airport authority passes. Yadav was killed during the tussle, which worsened the situation. Angry CISF jawans and officers turned on airport officials. One of the airport staff, Sunny Joseph was injured after being thrashed by CISF personnel.   The incident happened around 9.45 pm at the VIP gate in the high security area of the airport where the containers are managed.   The airport has been temporarily closed and two flights have been redirected to Nedumbassery airport Kochi.   "We have taken all measures to control the situation.  ADGP Shankara Reddy and Malappuram SP are in charge at present. More forces from Kozhikode and Malappuram have been assigned at the spot. By tomorrow morning the situation will be normal and flights will be able to land. But early morning flights are directed to land in Nedumbassery itself to avoid further confusions,” Kerala Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala told The News Minute.   "At present the situation is not peaceful and is uncontrollable. CISF officials are violently angry and we have been having talks with them. CISF director will have meeting with DGP, will sort out the issue at the earliest,” he added.   The senior officers of CISF and airport authority are expected to reach the spot by Thursday.   After the shootout, Fire force officials protesting by parking the fire force vehicles in the runway.   Meanwhile Sunny Joseph who has been admitted in the hospital alleged that CISF jawans were the first ones to provoke.  
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.