On spotting a lizard in the food, many of the students apparently consumed salt water with tamarind to fight off nausea.

 Chennai govt college students fall sick after eating food that a lizard allegedly fell into
news Food safety Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:09

In a suspected case of food poisoning, 65 students of Quaid-e-Millath Government College for Women in Chennai were rushed to two hospitals on Sunday night after they had dinner at their hostel mess. One of the students allegedly found a lizard in the idly, after which the students fell sick.

According to reports, 48 of the students were taken to Government Royapettah Hospital (GRH), 17 were admitted to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital. Four of them reportedly suffered from diarrhoea. They were all kept in the hospital overnight for observation.

On spotting a lizard in the food, many of the students apparently consumed salt water with tamarind to fight off nausea, making them throw up and feel sicker. 

The college had declared a one-week holiday for students residing in the hostel after the Food Safety Department conducted an inspection and issued a warning notice to the management.

“We have collected samples of food and drinking water from the hostel for testing. Further action will be based on the report which is expected within 15 days,” said Dr R Kathiravan, Designated Officer, Chennai Food Safety Department to TNIE.

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.