news Wednesday, April 08, 2015 - 05:30
The bodies of five terror accused gunned down by police in Telangana's Nalgonda district were shifted to a hospital on Wednesday. Police said the bodies would be handed over to their relatives after autopsy at government-run MGM Hospital in Warangal town. The bodies were first brought to Jangaon but were shifted to Warangal late Tuesday night for conducting the autopsy. The delay was due to the legal opinion taken by the police. Though they were killed in the limits of the Alair police station in Nalgonda district, the bodies were brought to Warangal as they were undertrial prisoners of Warangal Central Jail. Viquar Ahmed alias Viquaruddin and four others were shot dead by police, which alleged that the accused tried to snatch weapons from policemen and flee while they were being brought to Hyderabad from Warangal Central Jail. However, the families of the accused have termed the encounter as "fake" and "stage-managed" by the police. They are demanding that the policemen involved be booked for murder. Viquar Ahmed's father Mohammed Ahmed has refused to take his body till the government orders probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). The families and their counsel said the youth were killed as the cases against them were reaching a final stage and the police were afraid that the judgment may go against them. They found many holes in the police claim that the youth who were chained tried to attack policemen. Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) and human rights groups have termed the police action as "vengeance" for the killing four policemen by terror operatives in Nalgonda district last week. Read - Undertrials killing retaliation by police, says Owaisi Twelve hours after the incident, the police on Tuesday night issued a statement, giving details of what it calls "exchange of fire". According to the statement, the five undertrial prisoners were being brought in Eicher mini bus. On the outskirts of Tangutur village, Viquar demanded to stop the vehicle for natural call. He got down from the bus along with the escort staff and boarded the bus after relieving himself. "After entering the vehicle, he snatched the Insas weapon of the escort police constable and opened fire. The remaining four accused also tried to snatch weapons overpowering the police shouting slogans. It is learnt the escort party fired in self defence resulting in the death of Viquar and other four accused," said the statement. The slain under trial prisoners are Viquar Ahmed, 33, Syed Amajd Ali, 27, Mohammed Zakir, 35, residents of Hyderabad. Mohammed Haneef, 37, was a resident of Ahmedabad, Gujarat while Izhar Khan, 33, was from Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. Police say that they had formed a radical fundamentalist organsiation called Tahreek Galba-e-Islam (TGI) to carry out various terror activities. They were involved in killing of two policemen in Hyderabad and one in Gujarat between 2007 and 2010. Police said they had taken up investigation in Tuesday's incident and ordered a magisterial inquiry. It claimed to be following guidelines of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) and the Supreme Court in the investigations. Read - A day after the Warangal shootout, many questions remain unanswered With IANS
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.