The disastrous flooding in Bengaluru in 2017 had brought the city to a standstill and the BBMP had blamed IMD for not alerting then.

Bengalureans can relax flood alert withdrawn by weather agency
news Civic Issues Monday, June 04, 2018 - 12:01

The 24-hour-flood alert issued by the Karnataka State Natural Disaster Monitoring Centre for Bengaluru has now been withdrawn.

Subha Avinash, Project Scientist (Hydrology) from the KSNDMC told TNM that the flood alert was in place as there were predictions of heavy rainfall in several areas of Bengaluru.

“However, only moderate to heavy rainfall will be experienced in Bengaluru and the flood alert has been withdrawn. There will be no such alert till Wednesday 8.30 am.However, in the last 24 hours, there was inundation in Begur, HSR Layout and BTM Layout and parts of South Zone,” she added.

The KSNDMC had initially issued the flood alert so that Fire and Emergency Services, Traffic Police and BBMP can be on alert in case of any natural disaster. These alerts have also been withdrawn.

The India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Sunday issued a warning of thundershowers and heavy winds across Bengaluru and surrounding areas.

The disastrous flooding in Bengaluru in 2017 had brought the city to a standstill. The BBMP, had then blamed IMD for supposedly not issuing the flood alerts beforehand.

“These are short and heavy spells of rainfall. However, the thundershowers may not be as powerful as it was predicted. Till 8.30 am today, 6.2 mm rainfall was recorded in Bengaluru city. Since the monsoon had taken everyone by surprise last time, we were only issuing alerts so that precautionary measures could be put in place,” said CS Patil, director-in-charge of the IMD.

Heavy rains began lashing Karnataka late last month with the weather even affecting parts of Bengaluru, leading to the KSNDMC issuing moderate flood alerts in the city at the time.

 

 

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.