Akbaruddin Owaisi was attacked on April 30, 2011, by assailants with knives, who later opened fire at him.

Akbar Owaisi attack case Telangana moves Hyderabad HC over trial court verdict
news Politics Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:26

The Telangana government has filed an appeal in the Hyderabad High Court on Saturday, challenging the trial court judgment that acquitted 10 people in the Akbaruddin Owaisi attack case.

According to reports, the state also sought enhancement of the 10-year jail term imposed on the four convicted in the case, in a separate appeal.

In its representation, the state reportedly relied on the opinion of doctors who said that the MLA had sustained serious injuries, and could have died, if he was not brought to the hospital in time.

Akbaruddin Owaisi was attacked on April 30, 2011, by assailants with knives, who later opened fire at him.

Akbaruddin Owaisi was in the Barkas area of his constituency, along with Malakpet AIMIM MLA Ahmed Bhalala, when several men, allegedly sent by prime accused Mohammed Pahelwan attacked him with knives, and opened fire as he ran towards his car.

At the time, police said that the legislators' security personnel also opened fire, killing one Irfan, who was said to be Mohammed Pahelwan's nephew.

The incident had triggered a massive shutdown in the Old City area, with police imposing Section 144 and stepping up security for days.

Police had also said that an ongoing property dispute was the motive behind the attack.

The Central Crime Station, which filed the charge sheet, had named 83 witnesses.

In the FIR, the accused were charged under Sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting with deadly weapons), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means), 307 (attempt to murder), 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and section 27(1) of Indian Arms Act.

Last month, the court held Hasan Bin Omer Yafai, Abdullah Bin Younus, Awadh Bin Younus Yafai and Salem Bin Wahlan guilty. They have been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment.

The prime accused, Mohammed Pahelwan, including 10 others, was acquitted. 

Police said that Pahelwan, a former AIMIM party member turned property dealer, allegedly hatched the plan to attack Akbaruddin.

Pahelwan, who had spent six years in jail since 2011, was given a huge welcome when he was released, with several followers waiting outside the prison to receive him.


IANS inputs