Anandan, the accused, had allegedly led a group of men to brutally attack constable Rajavelu on Monday night.

Cop guns down accused in the heart of Chennai city say it was in self defense
news Crime Wednesday, July 04, 2018 - 09:02

A day after the attack on a night-patrol constable in Chennai, the main accused in the case was shot dead by the police late on Tuesday night near Madhya Kailash in the city. The body was taken to the Royapettah government hospital for post-mortem.

Acting on a tip-off, a team of four policemen including assistant commissioner KN Sudarshan, inspector of police Dillibabu and sub-inspector Ilaiyaraja picked Anandan up from near Sholinganallur. Further interrogation revealed that he had hidden the walkie-talkie taken from constable Rajavelu the previous night in the Central Polytechnic college campus in Taramani. When the cops took Anandan to the spot, he dug out a knife and tried to attack one of the cops. In order to safeguard themselves, the police claim Sudarshan shot at him.

Speaking to the reporters, Additional Commissioner of Police MC Sarangan said that a Special Task Force was formed to track the group that attacked Rajavelu the previous night and Anandan was a part of that gang who was arrested.

“He attacked Sub Inspector Ilayaraja. Immediately he was warned to put the knife down. The AC who was nearby also warned him. Ignoring the warning, he then tried to attack in the neck region, trying to render harm to life. Since he didn't listen irrespective of many warnings, the AC opened one round and shot. He was injured in that. He was taken to a private hospital nearby. Subsequently, when he was taken to GH, we got to know that he died,” he said.

He also said that cases will be registered under sections 176 (when a person dies in custody, inquiry to be conducted by the magistrate) of the CrPC and 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC.

Anandan is already an accused in two attempts to murder cases, according to reports.

A group of men had attacked constable Rajavelu on Monday night with sickles and knives. The men were drunk and were creating nuisance, and Rajavelu rushed to the spot after receiving a distress call from the area. When Rajavelu asked them to disperse, they had attacked him causing severe injuries on his head. Rajavelu was then taken to the hospital, where he received 30 stitches to his head.


Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.