An 18-year-old youth was found charred to death under mysterious circumstances in Madanapalle of Chittoor district in Andhra Pradesh. The incident took place in Tekulapalyam of Bommancheruvu Panchayat in Madanpapalle rural mandal limits on Wednesday, according to reports.
According to a report in The Hindu, the deceased identified as Lokesh D was working as an auto driver and was living with his parents. Reports claimed that the boy was in a relationship with a woman from another caste and is suspected to have been killed by her relatives.
TOI report said that as per preliminary medical examination, the boy was electrocuted to death before being burnt. Police suspect that the fire could have resulted due to a short circuit in a socket near Lokeshâ€™s bed.
Madanapalle Taluk police have registered a case under Section 174 of CrPC (suspicious death). The body was sent for postmortem at a local hospital, while police are ascertaining the exact cause for his death.
Police recorded the statements of Lokesh's father Adikeshavulu and mother Ademma, following the incident. According to reports in local media, the deceased was sleeping in one room while his parents were in another room. Reports state that he died even as his parents tried to rescue him.
Lokesh had been sent to a juvenile home earlier this year over a dispute regarding relationship with a neighbouring girl from another caste. Both families had sparred over the issue.
Police are suspecting that he was first electrocuted from a nearby wire box / junction box due to a short circuit and then the mobile phone could have blasted causing the flames to spread and eventually leading to his death. Police clues teams have claimed that there was no evidence of petrol or diesel being used for immolation.