8 Andhra fishermen missing at sea since Aug 7, Navy, Coast Guard intensify search

The fishermen last contacted their families on August 7 and said they were heading towards the Odisha coast. Authorities have expanded the search up to 300 nautical miles and alerted fishing boats and governments in Odisha and West Bengal.
 Minister for Fisheries Atchannaidu consoling the kin of the missing fishermen
Minister for Fisheries Atchannaidu consoling the kin of the missing fishermen
Written by:
Published on

Eight fishermen from Andhra Pradesh’s Dr BR Ambedkar Konaseema district have been missing at sea since August 7, prompting an extensive search operation by the Indian Coast Guard and Navy.

The fishermen had set out from the Odalarevu fish landing centre in Allavaram mandal on August 3 aboard the mechanised fishing boat AP.MO 135 to fish for tuna. They were expected to return by August 10-12, but their families raised the alarm after losing contact with them.

According to officials, the fishermen last spoke to their families by phone on August 7, when they said they were heading towards the Odisha coast. No communication has been received from them since.

The missing fishermen have been identified as Karri Ramudu, K Ramakrishna, S Thatharao, Esudasu, Palepu Santarao and Kollati Srinivas, all from Odalarevu. The other two fishermen are from Kakinada.

The Indian Coast Guard's Kakinada and Visakhapatnam units are leading the search along with the Indian Navy.  According to officials, two Navy ships, two helicopters and five Coast Guard ships have been deployed, with search operations covering up to 300 nautical miles in the Bay of Bengal.

Fishing boats operating from Kakinada, Bhairavapalem, Visakhapatnam and Paradip have also been alerted and asked to report any sighting of the missing vessel. The governments of Odisha and West Bengal have been informed as the search expands towards the eastern coast.

Andhra Pradesh Agriculture Minister K Atchannaidu, who met the families of the missing fishermen at Odalarevu on Wednesday, said the state government was making every effort to locate them.

The boat is equipped with a Very High Frequency  (VHF) radio. Officials said it had about 1,000 litres of diesel, against an estimated requirement of 600 litres for the trip, and food and rice provisions sufficient for around 17 days, expected to last until August 20.

Konaseema District Collector R Mahesh Kumar said the Coast Guard had circulated details of the boat and fishermen among vessels operating in the Bay of Bengal. Superintendent of Police Rahul Meena said a missing-person case had been registered at Allavaram police station and that the district administration was coordinating with the Coast Guard, Marine Police and fishing vessels.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu held a review meeting with officials and directed them to intensify the search until the fishermen and the boat are located. He also asked officials to remain in constant contact with the families and keep them informed about developments.

The News Minute
www.thenewsminute.com