Tipu Jayanti
Prohibitory orders have been issued in Udupi, Chitradurga, Kolar and Mysuru.
Representational Image

With the Karnataka state government set to observe Tipu Jayanti on Friday despite opposition from the BJP and regional groups, prohibitory orders are in place in many districts across Karnataka.

Kodagu is on high alert, and also has heavy police presence. According to a report by City Today, Kodagu has an additional SP, 8 Deputy SPs, 23 Inspectors, 68 PSIs, 113 ASIs, 1,500 constables, 27 DAR platoons, 15 KSRP platoons and one RAF are on the ground to ensure that there is no violence. In addition to security, 40 CCTV cameras are being installed in at the ten checkpoints.

The Times of India reported that prohibitory orders are in place in Kodagu district from 8 am on Thursday to 8 am on Saturday. Kodagu DC Richard Vincent told TOI that this was aimed at maintaining the law and order situation in the district. However, the government-held events in Madikeri, Virajpet and Somwarpet are exempted from these restrictions.

Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the CrPC have already been issued in Udupi district from November 8 to November 11, and in Kolar from 9 am on Thursday from 9 am on Thursday to 9 am on Saturday. Chitradurga district authorities have also similar restrictions. Police are on high alert in Mysuru as well.

The anti-Tipu Jayanti committee had already called for a bandh on Friday. Even the BJP’s Nava Karnataka Parivarthana Yatre, led by former CM BS Yeddyurappa, has been stalled from entering the district on Wednesday, and will be allowed only after the celebrations end.

“It’s not that they are not allowed, but police have said that they were unable to provide security on 8 November. That’s why they were asked to postpone the event till after the 10,” D’souza told The Mint.

In Kalaburgi, the administration has asked people not to host private events celebrating Tipu Jayanti.

The BJP has termed the current government’s move of observing Tipu Jayanti as an act of Muslim appeasement. Its leaders, including Union Minister Anant Kumar Hegde, has demanded that their names be removed from the invitation for the state's Tipu Jayanti celebrations.  

The current Siddaramaiah-led Congress government made it an annual affair to celebrate Tipu’s birthday on November 10 from 2015 onwards, under the Department of Kannada and Culture.

The state government’s decision to go ahead with the celebrations stirred widespread protests and violence, which marred the celebrations of the last two years. In 2015, two people died during clashes on Tipu Jayanti.

However, the state government is all set to proceed with the event for the third year after the Karnataka High Court on Tuesday refused to stay the celebrations.