An Indian-origin couple is fighting for complete closure of a nursery in south London where their toddler - a girl child - choked to death a few years ago.
Tiya Chauhan, who was 22-months-old at the time, choked on a jelly cube and fell unconscious during a play session at Dicky Birds Nursery in Wimbledon following which she was taken to hospital but died later that day in August, 2012.
A jury at Westminster Coroner's Court had delivered a verdict of accidental death with neglect in 2014.
This week, Dicky Birds pleaded guilty at Kingston Crown Court to two counts of contravening UK health and safety laws and will be fined at a later date.
However, Tiya's mother Dipa and father Chetan are fighting for the complete closure of the nursery. "We are disappointed. I think Ofsted (schools' inspectorate) should close it down. It shouldn't be allowed to operate," IT consultant Chetan Chauhan told the Evening Standard.
He believes the nursery "messed up" by putting out dangerous activities unsuitable for children Tiya's age and allowing them to roam free without proper supervision.
"That day we thought Tiya would be in the baby room. We weren't told what 'free flow' meant. It's hard to hear that no one saw her take the jelly cube and put it in her mouth then collapse.
"If a child dies it's surely in Ofsted powers to shut a nursery down. I don't feel we will ever get justice," Dipa added.
Nursery staff had found Tiya unconscious and not breathing and is believed to have died soon after at St. George's Hospital. Dicky Birds Nurseries' director Rachel Berry said: "My thoughts are with Tiya's parents at what must continue to be a very difficult time for them."
Ofsted said it initially suspended the nursery's registration but added: "After investigation, we were satisfied (that) children there were not at risk of harm and decided to lift the suspension." PTI AK