In a tragic incident, a Class 8 student residing in a hostel of the Telangana Social Welfare Residential School (TSWREIS), died after reportedly falling out of an open window, situated next to his bed, while he was asleep.
The incident occurred at Jaipur mandal centre in Mancherial district on Saturday early morning, and the student has been identified as Rakesh (13).
Rakesh was reported to be sleeping on a bunk bed near a large open window, which had no grills.
Telangana Today reported that Rakesh accidentally fell from the bed on the first floor, to the ground floor several feel below, following which he was declared brought dead by doctors at the Jaipur government hospital.
The report adds that the 13-year-old's father was a farmer, and he was a native of Kondampeta village in Kotapalli mandal.
Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Jaipur police sub-inspector B Sanjeev, who inspected the hostel said, "The conditions in the room clearly show that the school authorities did not care for the safety of the students at all. The in-charge principal and warden will be arrested shortly."
The police also said that the principal of the school had recently been transferred, and the new prinicpal had just taken over the reins.
A case has been registered under section 304A of the IPC (death due to negligence) with the the school's in-charge principal Maheshwar Rao and warden Pandit named as the chief accused, the BM report added.
Meanwhile, Balala Hakkula Sangham (BHS), an NGO, blamed the management, and accused it of negligence, for not having any grills on the windows and letting the children sleep without security.
In a press statement, the BHS also demanded the arrest of the authorities responsible, and a compensation of Rs 25 lakh to the studentâ€™s family.