A congress leader and a BJP corporator were arrested

Senior officer Anupama Shenoy who put ministers call on hold resigns after protestAnupama Shenoy/ Facebook
news Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 11:22

Senior woman police officer Anupama Shenoy submitted her resignation on Saturday.  The 2010-batch officer was in the news in January when she had been transferred for putting a call from Ballari district in-charge and labour minister PT Parameshwar Naik’s call on hold and then reinstated following a public outcry.

Deputy Superintendent of Police (DySP), Kudligi sub-division of Ballari district Shenoy had cited personal reasons for the move, said district superintendent of police Chathan.

Newspapers reported that while the exact reasons for her resignation was not clear yet, on Saturday morning a group of people gathered in front of Shenoy’s office protesting the arrest of three people who were constructing a building to open a liquor shop.

Shenoy, a 2010-batch officer, was also in the forefront of cracking down on liquor and sand mafia in her jurisdiction. The reason for her sudden resignation is not clear yet.

According to Bangalore Mirror sources said that the arrests had angered Congress party.

Deccan Chronicle reported that Veerendra Kumar, Congress leader and owner of liquor shops was granted some land for construction next to Ambedkar Bhavan near Kudligi bus stand. However, leaders of a Dalit organisation which was against it, complained to her.

Shenoy had asked building owners to resume construction activity only after it was proved whether construction of the building was being carried out on land owned by Kumar.

Chathan told The News Minute that among the three people arrested were Kumar and a BJP corporator named Ravi were among the three people arrested. However, he was not sure whethere Veerendra Kumar was associated with the Congress. They were arrested under section 107 CrPC.

Shenoy’s decision to arrest the three antagonised local politicians and supporters and she was later reprimanded by senior officers. Following this, she submitted her resignation, reported BM.

"The officer gave the resignation letter to her staff and left the office. She is yet to get in touch with us. I tried contacting her, but couldn't reach her," said Chathan.