Sanal Kumar death probe: 2nd accused's son held after 2-hour questioning

Binu’s son Anup was brought to the crime branch office in Thiruvananthapuram and arrested after a 2-hour interrogation.
Sanal Kumar death probe: 2nd accused's son held after 2-hour questioning
Sanal Kumar death probe: 2nd accused's son held after 2-hour questioning
Written by :

The Kerala police have made a second arrest in the Neyyatinkkara murder case. Anup, the son of second accused Binu, was held after a 2-hour long interrogation at the crime branch office on Sunday.

Speaking to TNM, crime branch SP Antony who had been charged with the investigation earlier said, “After a 2-hour long questioning, we recorded Anup’s arrest at 5:30 pm. He has been arrested for helping the two murder accused escape.”

Anup is the son of Binu, the second accused in the case and a close friend of DySP B Harikumar. Harikumar allegedly pushed Sanal on to the road and into the path of an oncoming car. Sanal was struck by the vehicle and died soon after. Anup has been accused of booking a cab for Harikumar and Binu to escape, quickly after the incident.

On Saturday, the police made headway in the case by arresting a man identified as Satheesh Kumar, from Tirparappu, in Tamil Nadu.

According to the Crime Branch officials, Satheesh is a close friend of the prime accused B Harikumar, the former deputy SP of Neyyatinkara, and the second accused Binu. He allegedly aided their escape and provided them with new sim cards as well.

Hours after the arrest on Sunday, Kerala Police Chief Loknath Behera gave Crime Branch IG Sreejith the responsibility to lead the investigation team.

According to the SP Antony, the two accused - Harikumar and Binu - reached Satheesh’s lodge at 8:30 am the following day.

Satheesh then used his Aadhaar card to buy two sim cards - a BSNL sim and an Idea sim.

“The two left the next day. The numbers were active for a day. However, since November 7, their phones have been switched off. We believe they have taken new sim cards,” the SP said.

32-year-old Sanal Kumar died on Monday night following an altercation with DySp Harikumar over their parked vehicle. During the argument, Harikumar pushed Sanal on the road, after which he was hit by a fast-approaching car, said witnesses. Soon after the incident, Harikumar, along with his friend Binu, fled the scene, while the ambulance carrying an injured Sanal Kumar first went to the Neyyattinkara police station instead of the Medical College.

Binu has been named an accused in the case for helping Harikumar escape.

The DySP was suspended following the incident and a case has been registered against him under IPC Section 302 (punishment for murder).

Although Sanal's wife Viji and family are content that the investigation has been handed over to IG Sreejith, they are hoping for a stronger team. According to reports, Sanal Kumar's family will submit a petition to the Kerala High Court to either conduct the investigation under the supervision of the court or hand over the case to the CBI.

Elections 2023

No stories found.
The News Minute