The boy died in a swimming pool at a plush resort in Kerala's famed Kumarakom tourist spot on Thursday.

Royal Saudi family flies back home with body of son who drowned in Kerala resortRepresentational image
news Death Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 10:07

Members of the Saudi family who lost their four-year-old son Hamidaddin Alaadin Ibrahim after he drowned in a swimming pool at a private resort at Kumarakom in Kerala flew back home to Jeddah with their son’s body on Saturday.

The couple, along with their four other children, left by an Air India flight from Nedumbaseery Airport in Kochi in the evening, reports The New Indian Express.

"They are awaiting the autopsy report from forensic experts before initiating further steps. Their legal advisers have contacted us. They moved papers to top Indian authorities via the Saudi consulate. Prior to this, they have been collecting the required reports from various authorities. The legal action is likely after their son's funeral," the report quotes Fazir Muhammed of Comfort Holidays. It had arranged the family's Indian trip.

The death of the boy was widely covered by the Saudi media and in Kerala.

The boy, said to be a member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia, died in a swimming pool at a plush resort in Kerala's famed Kumarakom tourist spot on Thursday. He is the son of Hamid Albin Fatima Adbul Rahman and Hamidaddin Ibrahim Abdul Rahman. 

Ibrahim had told media that there was an electricity leakage in the pool and that might have caused his son’s death.

The boy was in a baby pool and his father was at the pool for adults when the incident occurred.

Forensic authorities of the Kottayam Medical College where the autopsy was conducted handed over the post-mortem report to the police, the report says. Kottayam DySP Zacharias Mathew is quoted as saying, “The post-mortem report says it is a case of drowning and the forensic surgeon couldn’t find any signs of electrocution. We can't depend on verbal statements which will not stand scrutiny in the court. We are awaiting detailed report from the Electrical Inspectorate regarding the possibility of electric charge entering the pool as a result of some technical glitch.”

A case of unnatural death has been registered.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.