Revenue receipts of Kerala government go up
news Monday, January 05, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute | June 10, 204 | 7:53 PM IST The total revenue receipts of the Kerala government for the year 2012-13 reached Rs.44,137 crore, up from Rs.38,010 crore in 2011-12, an official said here Tuesday. Accountant General Biju Jacob told reporters here that 78 percent of this was raised by the state through tax revenue (Rs.30,077 crore) and non-tax revenue (Rs.4,198 crore). "The rest 22 percent was received from the centre as Kerala's share of divisible taxes (Rs.6,841 crore) and grants-in-aid (Rs.3,021 crore)," Jacob said, while presenting details of the report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on the revenue sector and also on the state's public sector undertakings (PSUs). The report was tabled in the Kerala assembly earlier in the day. He said that till the end of March 31, 2013, Kerala had 101 working PSUs -- 96 companies, five statutory corporations, 16 non-working companies. "The total investment in these PSUs stood at Rs.10,863 crore, of which the state government's share was Rs.6,569 crore. Of the 78 PSUs that had finalised their accounts for the period 2012-13, 45 earned profits of Rs.667 crore while 31 incurred a loss of Rs.607 crore," Jacob said. On the lapses of the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB), he said that due to the failure in implementing medium or long-term power purchase plans, KSEB had to incur an extra cost of Rs.244 crore. Of the 14 projects taken for implementation under the Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yogana that targeted 1,274 villages, only one project for electrification of 37 villages was completed. During the audit period 2008-2012 of the state-owned Kerala State Financial Enterprises (KSFE), a miscellaneous non-banking financial company, it was found that the company violated rules and regulations of running a chitty business and suffered a loss of Rs.114 crore. IANS
Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.