The association claimed that section 258 of Cantonments Act 2006, is not being followed in the area

Reopen all the roads closed by Army in Secunderabad cantonment demand residentsFile Photo
news News Friday, March 10, 2017 - 09:38

Secunderabad residents association met Secunderabad Cantonment Board (SCB) CEO on Thursday urging him to open the roads, which have been closed by the Army.

Federation of North Eastern Colonies of Secunderabad (FNECS) explained the problems faced by the residents due to the closure of 15 roads, in their meeting with SCB chief executive officer (CEO).

They also demanded that the official letter issued by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on January 7, 2015, be produced at the next meeting.

According to reports, the association claimed that section 258 of Cantonments Act 2006, which mandates reopening of closed roads, is not being followed in the area, whereas, in other cantonments like Kanpur and Mathura, civilians are allowed to use restricted areas.

Previously, in February, the residents had taken out a candlelight march to protest against the closure of 12 roads by the Local Military Authority (LMA) in Secunderabad Cantonment.

“The LMA has closed the public roads without following the procedure specified in the Cantonment Act 2006. It affects several residents. We demand them to open all the roads immediately,” S Chandrashekar, founder of Open Secunderabad Cantonment Area All Roads had earlier told The News Minute.

Expressing their difficulties, he also said that due to the road closure, what used to be an 800-metre ride earlier has turned into a minimum 8 km ride for several residents.

He also said the children studying in nearby schools have also been inconvenienced, as they reach school late due to the longer route.

“The principal director defence estates (Southern Command) had given specific instructions to place the MoD letter before the Board, but then CEO Sujatha Gupta ignored it,” Chandrasekhar Rao told Times of India.

Meanwhile, the civilian ward members of SCB on Thursday have moved a `no-confidence motion' against the SCB vice president Sada Keshava Reddy for the second time.

He is currently representing ward no-II in the Cantonment.

“As per TRS high command's decision, he has to continue in the vice president post for two years only. Now, two years are completed and thus we have moved a no confidence motion and gave representation to the president of cantonment board (PCB) Brig A S Negi,“ ward member no-V, J Ramakrishna told ToI.

 

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.