Train services connecting Bengaluru with Mangaluru, other parts of coastal Karnataka and parts of Kerala passing through Sakleshpur-Subramanya Road Ghat section, will remain suspended at least till Sunday.
Trains in these sections were already cancelled for the last two weeks starting from August 10 as unprecedented rainfall in the region triggered multiple landslides which caused damage to the railway tracks.
According to senior railway staff, the section witnessed 59 incidences of landslides, and boulder and tree fall, between Hassan and Subramanya Road between August 5 and August 12 alone. This resulted in Debris of more than 75,430 cubic meters falling from the embankment, and caused extensive damage to the tracks at several locations.
‚ÄúThe track restoration works have been taken up immediately thereafter. Works have been going at all critical location with multiple machines and labour despite inclement weather conditions prevailing there. All landslips and breaches have been cleared except at three locations where bank has eroded. Senior officers from Zone and Division are personally monitoring the work,‚ÄĚ South Western Railways said in a statement.
Officials said if no further heavy rainfall occurs, train services are expected to resume from Sunday night.
On account of these works, the following trains remain suspended:
A. Cancellation of Train
1. Train No.16516 Karwar to Yesvantpur express journey commencing on 24.08.19 is fully cancelled.
2. Train No.16518/16524 Kannur/Karwar to KSR Bengaluru express journey commencing on 23.08.19 and 24.08.2019 is fully cancelled.
3. Train No.16511/16513 KSR Bengaluru to Kannur/Karwar express journey commencing on 23.08.19 and 24.08.19 is fully cancelled.
4. Train No.16575 Yesvantpur to Mangaluru Junction express journey commencing on 25.08.19 is fully cancelled.
5. Train No.16585 Yesvantpur to Mangaluru Express journey commencing on 25.08.19 is fully cancelled.
B. Partial Cancellation of Train
1. Train No.16514 Karwar to KSR Bengaluru express journey commencing on 25.08.2019 is partially cancelled between Karwar to Mangaluru Central.