There's no proposal as yet to withdraw cases against Muthalik

No plan to go soft on Muthalik Karnataka Law minister to TNM
news Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 09:01

There is no proposal before the state government to withdraw cases against Sri Rama Sene founder Pramod Muthalik.

Speaking to The News Minute on Monday, Law Minister TB Jayachandra said that there was no such proposal before the government. Asked about a letter written to the Public Prosecution department seeking legal opinion on dropping the cases against Muthalik, he said that he was not aware of such a letter.

“I am a member of the Cabinet sub-committee (which has the authority to make the decision) and there is no such proposal,” he added.

On December 25, The Hindu had reported that the state government was proposing to withdraw 13 cases against Muthalik.

Muthalik had been arrested in connection with the January 2009 pub attack in Mangaluru, in which Sene members attacked people in Amnesia pub. The attack, of which there were video clippings, sparked national outrage.

Muthalik and the Sene have since also been accused of orchestrating riots for money. Tehelka magazine had carried out a sting operation in which he agreed to orchestrate a riot for a reporter posing as a client.

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.