A 24-year-old man from Hyderabad, who had arrived in Goa with a friend last week, died due to suspected overdose of drugs after partying at a popular rave club in the beach village of Anjuna, police said on Monday. A police spokesperson said the deceased, identified as Shashank Sharma, was partying at the club located 20 km from Panaji on Sunday afternoon when the incident occurred.
"He felt uneasy after he left the club, following which he was referred to the Goa Medical College Hospital in Bambolin where he expired late on Sunday," the spokesperson said in a statement.
Police sources said that before he passed out, Sharma told his friend that he had consumed a tablet at the club, which had a rave party going on, which made him feel uneasy.
However, the police said that a post-morterm examination had been conducted and it could only be confirmed if it was a drug overdose, after the medical reports are published. A case has been registered and the police are expected to check CCTV footage and speak to the management of the club to find out what exactly took place.
Anjuna beach in Goa, favoured by tourists, is also known to be a hotspot for the sale of drugs like LSD, Cocaine and MDMA. Drugs from Goa also find their way to Hyderabad frequently.
In February this year, the Hyderabad city police arrested a 19-year-old BBA student from the city, along with a Nigerian national and a Goa-based businessman for selling LSD via Snapchat.
The Task Force police of the Central Zone made the arrests, and seized 75 stamps of LSD blots besides three packets of ganja, 30 grams of charas and one gram of heroin.
Speaking to reporters, the police said that the accused would update his status on SnapChat and take advance orders after informing them that he was travelling to Goa, where he bought the drugs.