The fire is believed to have started from the kitchen of a restaurant functioning inside the food court.

Major fire breaks out in Kochis Oberon mall hundreds evacuatedDileep Kumar, Wikimedia
news Fire Accident Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 13:16

A major fire broke out at the Oberon Mall in Kochi’s Vytilla on Tuesday.

The fire broke out on the fourth floor of the building from where a food court was functioning. As per primary reports, the fire is believed to have started from the kitchen of a restaurant functioning inside the food court. As soon as the fire started, people were asked to rush out through the emergency doors.

Those watching movies inside theatres situated in the mall were also asked to move out of the mall.

Two units of the Fire and Rescue Services battled the fire that broke out around 12.00 pm. The fire was put out within minutes, and people were evacuated successfully.

The restaurant kitchen from where the fire started is believed to have been fully gutted.

Local media reports say that fire fighters had a tough time as the building was engulfed in thick smoke, making it difficult for them.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.