KKR's Sunil Narine to undergo another test over suspect illegal bowling action
Features Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute | April 2, 2015 | 8:50 am IST BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya on Wednesday said Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) spinner Sunil Narine will have to undergo another test in Chennai for his suspect illegal bowling action. Even though Narine has been cleared by the International Cricket Council (ICC), the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has barred him from playing in the Indian Premier League (IPL). "I have had a word with them (KKR). He will have to appear for the test again, does not matter once or twice," said Dalmiya, who was present at the Cricket Association of Bengal's (CAB) felicitation programme of the 1989-90 Ranji Trophy winning squad to celebrate 25 years of their triumph. Narine, widely regarded as one of the best spinners in the world, was banned for a suspect bowling action while playing in the Champions League Twenty20 tournament in India in September last year. The mystery spinner went back to the nets and corrected his action and was finally cleared by the ICC after his bio-mechanical test in Loughborough. The 26-year-old then himself opted out of the World Cup citing he was not comfortable bowling with his new action. However, the BCCI has rejected the ICC report, saying the West Indies spinner has to redo the tests at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai. KKR, on the other hand, have threatened to pull out of the tournament. The eighth season of the IPL will kick-start with KKR facing Mumbai Indians at the Eden Gardens on April 8. With IANS
Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.