In a freak accident, a person in Hyderabad almost had his throat cut open after sharp manja used to fly kites during Sankranti, slashed his neck. The man, identified as Ashok Gupta, was rushed to the Max Cure Hospitals near the Secretariat in the city, where he reportedly received 20 stitches.
According to reports, the incident occurred when Ashok was on his way home from work on a two-wheeler and the sharp thread got tangled around his neck.
"Although the cut was deep, it did not reach the trachea which might have turned fatal for him. His neck muscles were exposed and the trachea was visible and there was bleeding from the cutaneous blood vessels. The cut was almost two centimetres deep, resulting in blood loss," Dr Sateesh Kailasam, head of department, emergency medicine at Maxcure Hospitals, was quoted as saying.
"We have given him some prophylactic antibiotics and tetanus vaccine after which he was taken for investigation and suturing," Hospital General Surgery and Plastic Surgeon, Dr. M. Sivaram told a media outlet.
Just last week, authorities said that kite-flying claimed two lives and left a boy critically injured in separate incidents over two days in Hyderabad.
A 11-year-old boy died after accidentally falling from the terrace of a three-storey building on Monday. A police officer said that the minor sustained critical injuries and was shifted to a hospital where he succumbed. The incident occurred in Ameen Mandi area.
In a similar incident on the same day, a 9-year-old boy sustained critical injuries after he fell from the first floor of his house in Nampally area while flying a kite. Police said the boy was admitted to hospital.
A 27-year-old youth also fell to his death while flying a kite on the terrace of his house in Warasiguda area on Sunday. Syed Khalid, who got married six months ago, lost his balance and fell on the compound wall of an adjacent building.