In a tragic incident, a five-year-old boy died in Hyderabad after he drowned in a water sump at a neighbour's house, which was presently under construction.
The boy was identified as Abdul Rahman, and the incident came to light after his father, Shaik Yakub, approached the Malakpet police in the city.
Police said that the boy was playing near his residence at around 12 pm, when he found his way to the water sump at the neighbour's house. Investigation officials suspect that he may have slipped and fallen inside.
Abdul was found inside the sump by his mother, and locals soon rushed the boy to a local hospital where he was declared brought dead. The body was later shifted to the state-run Osmania General Hospital (OGH) for a post-mortem following which it was handed over to the family.
A case has been registered under Section 304-A (Causing death by negligence) of the IPC, and the police said that further investigation is ongoing.
Malakpet MLA Ahmed bin Abdullah Balala from the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) visited the family and expressed his condolences. He also assured them that strict action would be taken by the police, Revenue Department and the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) against the contractor and building owner for negligence.
Last month, in a freak accident, an 8-year-old girl from Hyderabad's Uppuguda got electrocuted after she came in contact with a low hanging high-tension wire while playing on the terrace of her house. The victim was identified as S Lakshmi studying in Class 3.
After hearing the younger sister's cries, her mother who was working in the kitchen rushed to the building and found her elder daughter lying on the floor. The family immediately took Lakshmi to Osmania General Hospital. However, she succumbed within almost 30 minutes, while availing treatment.