The ammonium gas which leaked from the lab, soon spread to nearby classrooms, where children started vomiting

Hyderabad school gas-leak creates panic 25 students hospitalized Image for representation
news Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 09:19

About 25 children were rushed to a private hospital in Hyderabad on Friday, after a poisonous gas allegedly leaked from the laboratory of the Indian School of Excellence in Tolichowki.

According to a report in the Times of India, the incident occurred around 11:30 am. "We first got a foul smell and soon our eyes started burning and watering. A few minutes later we were asked to evacuate the school. A few of my friends were rushed to a hospital," Mohd Khaja Zainullah Abedi, a student told TOI.

"This is the second time in the last two years that such an incident took place at the school. The corridors are extremely narrow and that made it difficult for children to escape. However, the school management blamed garbage burning for it," a parent told the newspaper.

The ammonium gas which leaked from the lab, soon spread to nearby classrooms, where children reportedly started vomiting and complained that their eyes were burning.

The Golconda police has registered a case and is examining if there was negligence on the part of the school management.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.