The Superintendent claimed that the videos of the surgery were leaked to malign him.

Guntur GGH doctors perform surgery with cell phone flash light probe ordered
news News Friday, February 16, 2018 - 09:38

The poor state of the Guntur Government General Hospital (GGH) was exposed again, as a video of doctors performing a critical surgery using cell phone flash lights has surfaced.  

According to reports, while a surgery was being performed on a patient in the operation theatre, the lights went off which forced the doctors who were in the middle of the surgery to use mobile flash lights to complete the surgery. 

The incident took place on February 10 and the patient was identified as G Venkaiamma from Palnadu.

In a press release, the Superintendent, DS Raju Naidu stated, ‚ÄúDuring the procedure, the electric supply snapped at 12.45 p.m. Even after the generator was switched on, one of the operation lights could not be switched on as the MCB tripped. For five minutes, the surgery was continued using the light from the mobile phone and later the lights were switched on after supply was restored.‚ÄĚ

Just a day earlier, another issue came to the fore showing the miserable healthcare offered at the GGH. 

According to TNIEon Wednesday, the power went off while doctors were performing a hand surgery on a patient. As the power was disrupted, the orthopaedic surgical drill machine stopped working and the lights got switched off in the operation theatre. The doctors had to continue the surgery by shifting the patient to another ward.

With pressure mounting on the Superintendent DS Raju Naidu, he claimed that the video was leaked by his colleagues to malign him and has issued a memo to the doctors. 

He dismissed the two incidents and claimed that the power disruption hardly lasted for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, the Health Minister has ordered the Directorate of Medical Education to initiate an inquiry into the incident, reported Deccan Chronicle.

In 2015, the hospital had come under criticism after an infant undergoing treatment was bitten to death by rats. A high level inquiry was conducted after the incident.

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.