Two fire engines with 10 firemen were sent to the hospital and the fire was doused in half an hour.

Fire breaks out at incubator room of Vizag hospital nurses rescue newborn babies Image credit: Screenshot/ABN
news News Saturday, February 18, 2017 - 10:15

A fire broke out on Friday evening in the first floor of Government Victoria General Hospital in Visakhapatnam, reportedly due to a short-circuit in the incubator room.

However, there have been no casualties reported, as nearly 10 newborn babies in the room were rescued by the hospital staff.

The incident took place at around 4.15pm in the evening, after a short circuit happened in the Air Conditioner. Soon, thick smoke reportedly spread to the entire floor. A nurse reportedly noticed the fire in the room and alerted others. The staff immediately shifted the babies and their mothers out of the ward.

Two fire engines with 10 firemen were sent to the hospital and the fire was doused in half an hour.

"Timely action by the nurses saved the day for us," superintendent of the hospital, Dr K Padmaleela told The Hindu.

District Fire Officer also told The Hindu that the fire broke out from a faulty air-condition machine, while some air-conditioners and 10 incubators were also destroyed in the incident.

Officials also told The New Indian Express that the hospital did not have ‘No Objection Certificate’ (NOC) from the fire department.

"We have Rs 30 lakh worth equipment in the hospital and have to verify the extent of the damage," the superintendent told The Hans India.

This has been the first time a fire took place in the hospital, and the fire officials will examine the reason, the authorities added.

 

Topic tags,
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.