As city returns to normalcy, Bengaluru police lift curfew

City is pretty much back to normal
As city returns to normalcy, Bengaluru police lift curfew
As city returns to normalcy, Bengaluru police lift curfew
Written by:

Bengaluru limped back to normal life on Wednesday, making police lift curfew in all the affected areas two days after violence shook the country's tech hub in protest against Karnataka releasing Cauvery river water to Tamil Nadu on the Supreme Court's directives.

"Everything has back to normal across the city. Curfew has been lifted in all the 16 localities in northwest and southwest suburbs. The situation is under full control though ban order remains across the city," Home Minister G. Parameshwara told reporters here after visiting the disturbed areas.

Asserting that there would be no more violence or shutdowns in the city hereafter, the minister said heightened security would remain and close vigil was being maintained against anti-social elements to prevent any untoward incident.

"I have visited the areas where curfew was lifted and travelled in metro rail from Mysuru Road station (in the city's southwest) to Vidhana Soudha station (secretariat) (in the city centre) to demonstrate to the people that normal life is back," said Parameshswara.

The state road transport corporation has been directed to operate bus services to Tamil Nadu and other states.

Partial curfew was enforced three days since Tuesday after violence erupted on Monday in which one person was killed in police firing and 78 vehicles, including trucks and buses, were burnt across the city.

A Rapid Action Force battalion was posted at Attibele in the city's south bordering Hosur town in Tamil Nadu to prevent any untoward incident and regulate road traffic.

With buses, taxis, autos and metro rail resuming service, thousands of people were seen commuting to offices and workplaces in and around the city.

Passengers going to or alighting at railway junctions and bus terminals in the city and the airport on the outskirts are able to get transport as trains, inter-state buses and flights are operating on schedule.

"Security across the city remains tight and ban order under section 144 of the CrPC on assembling of more than five persons at public places and populated areas continues till further order to ensure peace and prevent any untoward incident," said Police Commissioner N.S. Megharikh.

Most of the schools and colleges have declared holiday for Onam festival and remained shut in curfew-hit areas to avoid inconvenience.

"Educational institutions, offices and businesses will remain shut in curfew-bound areas as a precautionary measure," Megharikh told reporters here.

Situation at Mandya and Mysuru in the river basin remained under control amid peaceful protests by farmers, traders and youth against releasing water to the lower riparian state.

Meanwhile, state Chief Minister Siddaramaiah is waiting for an appointment with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi to seek his intervention in the inter-state water dispute.

"Siddaramaiah is waiting for an appointment with the Prime Minister from the PMO (prime minister's office) to go to New Delhi as there is no response yet," an official from the chief minister's office told IANS.

Siddaramaiah wrote a letter to Modi on September 9 for convening a meeting of the chief ministers of both the states and his intervention to resolve the vexed issue after the Supreme Court directed the state to release 15,000 cusecs of the river water to Tamil Nadu on September 5 for 10 days and extended it to September 20, reducing the quantum of release to 12,000 cusecs per day.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The News Minute