A gas leak, which had the potential to kill hundreds of people, was contained in Hassan district on Thursday evening.
According to a Deccan Chronicle report, cooking gas distributed by Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited started leaking, which scared the residents of two villages in Hassan taluk.
The newspaper reported that two people on a motorbike found gas oozing out in liquid form at around 9:30 pm. They contacted HPCL office from the phone number given in one of the signboards nearby.
Additional SP Dr Shobha Rani told The News Minute that the leak at Tamalapura and Chajpurakoppalu villages was to the extent of 15 gas container lorries all leaking at the same time.
People were asked to stop cooking and power supply was disconnected for two days.
Mangalore Refineries and Petrochemicals Limited (MRPL) and HPCL authorities called two teams from Mumbai to attend to the leak.
â€śOver 800 residents from the two villages were evacuated and housed in temples and government schools. All of them are now back home and there is nothing to worry,â€ť she said.
However, two days since the incident, HPCL officials are yet to give an explanation to the district administration.
â€śThe administration has asked for a report citing the reason for the gas leak from HPCL. When we met some HPCL officials on Wednesday, they claimed that there was some testing going. We will book cases once they send us the report,â€ť Shobha added.