At the time of Nalapad's surrender, a tussle broke out between the BJP, JD(S) cadres and Congress supporters.

Bengaluru Cong MLAs son Nalapad surrenders in police custody for assault case
news Crime Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:46

Mohammed Nalapad, son of Congress MLA NA Harris who has been absconding since Sunday, surrendered at Bengaluru’s Cubbon Park police station in connection with the assault case.

Nalapad is currently in police custody. According to police, Nalapad will be produced before the 8th ACCM court in Bengaluru at 3pm. He is expected to seek bail.

However, although he was absconding, he reportedly went to the police station from his residence.

Nalapad allegedly assaulted and threatened the man after an altercation broke out between the two over a trivial matter at an upscale eatery on Saturday night.

The victim, Vidvat, is currently recovering at Mallya Hospital.

At the time of his surrender, there was a minor tussle between protesting BJP, JD(S) cadres and Congress supporters.

Soon after the news broke, the ruling Congress was left red-faced as the polls are coming up, and was forced into damage control mode as the BJP and the AAP took to the streets, demanding the arrest of Harris’s son. They also demanded that he should be charged with attempt to murder.

The police have registered an FIR against Nalapad under IPC sections 341 (wrongful restraint), 506 (criminal intimidation), 143 and 144 (unlawful assembly), 146 and 147 (rioting), 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace).

P Usman, Mohammad Nalapad's lawyer, said section 307 (attempt to murder) has not been registered against him dismissing reports of the same. There is no option of adding another section once the FIR is filed. He also alleged that BJP MP PC Mohan's son, Preetam was also seen in the CCTV footage in the cafe, but no casewase registered against him.

However, after protests, the cops assured IPC section 307 (attempt to murder) will be added while filing the chargesheet. 

On Sunday, five of Nalapad’s associates were arrested and were suspected to be involved in the assault.

Nalapad was sacked from his position of Bengaluru Congress Youth President and also lost his primary membership for six years.

CM Siddaramaiah earlier tweeted that the accused won’t be spared and that the law will take its own course.

Even Home Minister Ramalinga Reddy announced that the concerned ACP and the Circle Inspector would be suspended if the accused was not arrested by Sunday evening.

The Cubbon Park Inspector was suspended for dereliction of duty, and the case was handed over to the Crime Branch for further investigation.

“Yesterday my son spoke to his mother over the phone. I contacted him after that and asked him to not skirt the law and surrender to the police. I have always been a law-abiding citizen and I am in no way involved in this case. No one is above the law. Please do not indulge in dirty politics over this issue. It is like stabbing a dead body with a knife. This is all I ask. One cannot cover up something wrong so I have asked my son to surrender,” NA Harris told TNM.

Earlier on Sunday, Harris claimed that he was not aware of his son’s whereabouts. He also said that Nalapad had switched off his phone after being rebuked.

It was speculated that he avoided arrest on Sunday as he would not get bail from court.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.