At least 67 girls of Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) from Chevella in Ranga Reddy district were admitted in Niloufer hospital and Fever hospital in Hyderabad on Sunday for suspected food poisoning. On Saturday, the students were given fruit salad and later rice with dal and capsicum was served for dinner. The residential school has 206 students. Out of these, 67 students complained of severe stomach ache and vomiting at 8 am, following which they were rushed to Chevella Government Hospital.
Among the 67 students, 30 were sent back after treatment and 37 were referred to Niloufer Hospital. However, due to age constraints, Niloufer which is a children's hospital could only take 15 students, while the others were referred to Fever Hospital.
Inspector of Chevella, Guruvaiah told Deccan Chronicle, "Around 67 girls fell sick and started vomiting and were shifted to Government Hospital. Thirty girls were treated and sent back to the school after their condition became normal. Another 37 girls were referred to Niloufer Hospital. Their condition is stable now."
Chevella police have registered a case under section 337 IPC (causing hurt by act of endangering life) against the school principal and the cooks based on the parents' complaint.
KV Swarajya Lakshmi, District Medical and Health Officer of Ranga Reddy, told TOI, “We have already collected the sample of the salad. Apart from that, water and food samples have also been collected. We will also check the sanitation condition at the hostel and after thorough enquiry, action will be initiated against the staff if necessary.”
Ruling out the possibility of water contamination she said that the hostel is provided with canned mineral water.
TOI quoted special officer of KGBV, Swetha Reddy B as saying, “We have no clue what went wrong, and are trying to figure out reasons behind girls becoming sick.”