At least 14 people died and many were trapped when a portion of an under-construction flyover collapsed on Thursday on the busy Vivekananda Road area of Girish Park, Kolkata.
According to latest information, 78 people are injured.
Police sources said that eight persons were killed in the incident, while several others were injured. The death toll could go up, they said.
Several injured persons were rescued from under the debris and were being sent to different hospitals in the vicinity.
10 developments about the Kolkata Flyover tragedy:
- Death toll rises to 14, Kolkata Police confirm 14 dead, 78 injured
- Most patients directed to Calcutta Medical College and Marwari Relief Society Hospital
- State administration opens an Emergency Operations Centre at state Secretariat, Nabanna. The Helpline number is 1070. 033-22143526/ 033-22535185/ 033-22145664 Fax: 033-22141378
- Army deployed four columns of rescue personnel at the collapse site. Three medical teams with two ambulances, doctors & nursing assistants also there.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh directed the NDRF to engage all its resources to aid the rescue operations
- Hydraulic cranes and gas drivers pressed into action
- Kolkata Police and Fire and Emergency Services reached the spot first
- Unconfirmed sources told Firstpost that another part of bridge may collapse
- CM Mamata Banerjee, Mayor Sovan Chatterjee, Congress leader Adhir Chaudhury reach accident spot
- CM Mamata Banerjee has announced RS 5 lakh compensation to the kin of death and Rs 3 lakh to the injured.