The CRPF claimed that they did not have facilities to embalm his body, but his family is not convinced

Would they do this to a Major Asks CRPF Jawans wife as his body is brought home decomposed
news Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 16:31

Family members of a CRPF jawan who died in Chattisgarh, and whose body was brought home to them in a decomposing state, are angry and hurt at the disrespect shown to the soldier.

“We don’t need an apology but no one else should have this experience hereafter. His body was brought home without clothing, decomposed, just tied up in a black plastic cover,” says Lini, wife of Anil Achankunju (33), who died on March 24 after slipping into a water tank in Bilaspur.

Anil, a native of Chingoli Panchayat in Alappuzha district, was a good swimmer. However, when he slipped into the tank, his head hit its edge, and a blood clot rendered him unconscious and unable to save himself.

Three days ago, Lini received an apology from representatives of the CRPF. “They said there were not enough facilities to embalm his body. But if he was a senior official holding the rank of Major or Colonel, would they do this? If he was in the Indian army would they do the same? No, it happened just because he was a common CRPF Jawan,” she says.

On March 23, Anil talked to Lini over the phone for an hour, and the news of his death, coming the next day, took everyone in the family by shock.

“On the afternoon of Maundy Thursday we received a call from his office to inform us of his death. My only wish was to give him a last kiss and see his face once. That did not happen since the body was in a decomposed state. Foul odours had started emanating. Moreover, his face was unsightly, so nobody could see him for the last time,” Lini weeps.

Anil’s body reached his hometown on Saturday afternoon and it was learnt that body was kept for more than 15 hours in Chhattisgarh before it was flown to the Mumbai airport. No chemical treatment was done to prevent the body from decomposing.

Alleging disrespect, the relatives refused to receive the body when it was brought home. It was only after the CRPF's commanding officer Sanjay Sharma promised an investigation in a meeting held with Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala and Alappuzha MP KC Venugopal, that the relatives received the body.

Anil’s last rights were held on Sunday in the Orthodox Church, Karthikapally.



Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.