Warning message

The shelling reportedly happened on Saturday evening, according to news agency reports.

Two from Tamil Nadu killed in missile attack at Saudi-Yemen borderFile pic of air-strike led by Saudi forces in Yemen. Image: Ibrahem Qasim via Wikimedia Commons
news War Monday, December 21, 2015 - 08:37

Two men from Tamil Nadu have reportedly been killed during shelling when a missile fired from the strife-torn Yemen was fired at Najran in Saudi Arabia. An MEA spokesperson said that the men were among the 3 killed duing Houthi shelling from Yemen.

The shelling reportedly happened on Saturday evening, according to news agency reports.

According to government sources, it was learnt from the community members that both of them were from Tamil Nadu and their mortal remains were kept in local government hospital.  “We are arranging a visit of the members of Coordination Committee of Welfare Associations (community volunteers) to visit the hospital and to obtain more details.  We are also writing to the local government to seek details related to the deaths and also related to compensations for the victims,” the MEA said in a statement.

The two Indians have been identified as Mohammad Gilmi from Erwadi in Ramanathapuram District and Antony from Kallakurchi in Villipuram.

According to media reports, an Indian was killed and three others were injured in mortar attacks in Saudi’s Jizan region by rebels in Yemen, known as Houthis, earlier in September. Just before Jizan incident, another Indian was killed and two others were injured in the same region. Indians are the largest group of expats in the Gulf Kingdom and hundreds of them live in Jizan and Najran, the region bordering strife-torn Yemen.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.