news Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 05:30
The News Minute | June 2, 2014 | 10.11 am IST Incidents of stone-pelting were reported from several areas in Belgaum district after a call for a bandh was given by Hindu groups offended by certain images that had appeared in social media.  A call for a bandh was given by organisations such as the Sri Rama Sene, Shiv Sena, Vishwa Hindu Parishad and other Hindutva groups, in protest of the allegedly derogatory images of king Shivaji and Bal Thackeray that appeared on social media on Saturday. The Shiv Sena had gone on a rampage in Pune, after news of the images spread, attacking buses and blocking roads for hours on Saturday night. Read a report here. Superintendent of Police Chandragupta told The News Minute that there were “stray instances” of stone-pelting and but there had been no organised attempt ot disrupt law and order. He said that FIRs had been registered and that police were on the look out for the miscreants. Told said that miscreants had used the call for bandh to create violence. Sources said that incidents of stone-pelting were reported from several areas and that cases were registered in four police stations in the district – Market, Khadebazar, and Khanapur. Incidents were reported around 8.30 pm on Sunday night, and in some areas on Monday morning and afternoon. However, since then, there have been no law and order problems. Bijapur remains peaceful A “voluntary” bandh in Bijapur district, called by the BJP was incident-free, police sources said.  The Bijapur unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party had given a call for a three-hour bandh in the district in protest of the arrest of former union minister Basanagouda Patil Yatnal and others in connection with the clashes on May 26.  Patil secured bail in one case, according to The Times of India, but remains in Hindalga jail in Belgaum on account of other cases against filed him in connection with the violence. DNA () reports that although the district administration and police have not permitted a bandh, the district president of the BJP S K Bellubbi has announced the decision to go ahead with the bandh and it was a “self-declared bandh by people from different walks of life, we need not take any permission from the police or the district administration”

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.