Kiran was taken off ventilator support as the doctors said that he only had a few hours to live.

Telangana man wakes up from coma on funeral bed family was told hed die off ventilator
news Negligence Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 16:05

Eighteen-year old Gandham Kiran was diagnosed with dengue and jaundice, and declared brain dead by doctors at a hospital in Suryapet in Telangana. Following a declaration by doctors that there was no further hope of reviving Kiran, he was taken off the ventilator, and transported in an ambulance back to his home in Pillalamarri village in Telangana's Suryapet district on July 3, while wearing an oxygen mask. As Kiran's family had been informed that he will breathe his last in a couple of hours, relatives from different places had gathered at his home for the last rites.

But that night, hours before his funeral was to be held, relatives noticed tears rolling down Kiran’s cheeks. They called a local Registered Medical Practitioner (RMP) G. Rajababu Reddy, who checked the patient and found a faint pulse. 

Kiran had, seemingly miraculously, recovered from his coma.

The RMP spoke to the doctor who had treated Kiran at a Hyderabad hospital and on his advice, started administering injections. The day after, the doctor found Kiran showing some body movement. He was admitted to a local hospital. Following three days of treatment, Kiran regained consciousness and started talking to his mother in a feeble voice.

Kiran's mother, Gandham Saidamma, who was not informed about her son's condition when he was declared brain dead, believes God answered her prayers and gave a new lease of life to her younger son. 

"Now he has come back home and taking some liquid diet. We are continuing the medication," Saidamma told IANS over phone from Pillalamarri.

"After losing my husband in 2005, I worked as a labourer to raise my two sons and gave them the education. They are everything to me," she said.

Kiran is second year Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) student at a college in Suryapet. His elder brother, Sateesh, who has done his graduation in Arts, is currently looking for a job.

Sateesh said that Kiran, who had started vomiting and having motions on June 26, was first admitted to government district hospital at Suryapet. When his condition showed no improvement, he was shifted to a private hospital at Vanasthalipuram on the outskirts of Hyderabad where was diagnosed with dengue and jaundice and later slipped into a coma.

With IANS inputs

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.