Nearly 10 students started vomiting after being served Puliyogare and Rava Payasam supplied by Akshaya Patra.

Students of Bluru school fall ill after eating midday meal discharged from hospitalRepresentational image
news Health Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 09:47

Close to 10 students of a Bengaluru school started vomiting following the midday meal served to them on Monday. Taking no chances, a teacher at Government Lower Primary School, Nimbekaipura, KR Puram took all the 25 students to a nearby private hospital and by evening all the students who were admitted were discharged.

"Doctors have told us that there is no reason to panic," an official of the Department of Public Instruction told Bangalore Mirror.

The students were served Puliyogare and Rava Payasam supplied by Akshaya Patra.

A teacher of the school hinted that rather than the food, the children going to play right after lunch may have been the reason for them to vomit.

“They cook the food in a large quantity at one time and supply it to all schools. This is the first time such an incident has happened at our school, and as per our observation, one child went out to play immediately after having lunch, which could have caused him to vomit,” a teacher from the school told The New Indian Express.

In a statement, Akshaya Patra said, “We have not received any complaint of children taking ill after consuming the food supplied by us from other schools on the same route or any of the 1,002 beneficiary schools in the city. The meals served to this school were cooked at our centralised unit at Vasanthapura. All our centralised kitchens follow high standards of hygiene, food safety and quality to ensure that nutritious food is cooked and delivered to the beneficiaries.”

The incident comes after several incidents of midday meal poisoning were reported recently in the state. In one such incident in December 2018, over 100 students from two different schools in north Karnataka were taken ill.