A case has been registered by the Cantonment police in Thiruvananthapuram.

Sreejith protest Man allegedly manhandled by Cong workers for questioning Chennithala
news Protests Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 13:37

A group of Youth Congress activists manhandled a man on Friday, near the secretariat in Thiruvananthapuram. This happened after he had questioned the double standards of opposition leader Ramesh Chennithala, when he visited Sreejith to offer his support a week ago.

Chennithala had visited Sreejith on January 13. 

The man, Anderson Edward, later reportedly asked Chennithala about his inaction when Sreejith had approached him with the case while he was the home minister, leaving the leader in an uncomfortable situation.

A case has been registered by the Cantonment police. 

According to the officials, Youth Congress workers had assembled to take part in a rally and a female member recognised Anderson and pointed him out to the rest of the group.

“The members of the Youth Congress were dispersing after a rally. It was a female member of the organisation who recognised Anderson. After she pointed him out, the rest of the group attacked him”, said Gopakumar, a police official.

Police officials also informed that Anderson has not been able to identify the Youth Congress members who attacked him.

“He has not been able to identify anyone from the gang which manhandled him. We registered the case after taking his statements from the General hospital, where he is currently under medical observation”, said Gopakumar.

Police officials have charged a case against unidentified persons under sections 143 (for being member of an unlawful assembly), 147 (punishment for rioting), 294(b) (uttering obscene words), 323 (punishment for voluntarily causing hurt).

Officials have started a probe into the incident and the case will be investigated under the guidance of Cantonment SI Shafi.

Anderson has been actively coordinating the social media support group for Sreejith’s protest.

Anderson was taken to the General hospital immediately after the incident.

“We have also spoken to the hospital authorities and we have asked for a wound certificate from the doctors. Officials will examine the intensity of the assault after receiving the certificate”, said Gopakumar.

Sreejith has been protesting for nearly 800 days, against his brother Sreejeev’s custodial death in 2015. 

Also read: CBI to probe Sreejeev's death, brother Sreejith won't call off protest yet