News
A single judge bench had earlier said the central body would investigate the case to ensure the probe was not swayed by external pressure.

The Kerala government moved the High Court on Monday against a Central Bureau of Investigation-led probe into the Shuhaib murder case.

Earlier, a CBI probe was ordered into the case by a single judge bench. The bench had observed that even though the main accused had been apprehended, the murder weapons were not recovered. They were recovered later, but the bench termed this as ‘eyewash’.

The government told the High Court that the bench ordered a CBI probe after the 11 accused were arrested by the police, and the weapons and vehicles used for the murder were recovered. It also submitted that the Special Investigation Team was not influenced by any external force and pointed out that two main accused were arrested within five days of the crime.

The appeal stated that the court’s order for a CBI probe was based on media reports and did not examine the evidence collected by the SIT. The appeal also submitted that the SIT had not even left a chance for the accused to file a counter affidavit.

Shuhaib, who was 29 years old, was hacked to death in Mattanur, Kannur, on February 12, 2018. He was the Block Secretary of the Youth Congress.

On Saturday, the CPI (M) in Kannur had expelled the four accused in the murder. The announcement was made by the CPI (M) district office in Kannur.

The decision was reportedly taken at a District Committee meeting, which was attended by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and CPI (M) General Secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan. A total of 11 people, all reported to be associated with the CPI (M), have been arrested in connection with Shuhaib's murder. However, the four expelled suspects are the only ones with a formal party membership.

Shuhaib’s killing is the latest in a long line of politically motivated murders that has rocked Kerala.