Two weeks after the sexual assault of a 6-year-old UKG student at a school in Hyderabad's old city area had triggered off protests, the Telangana Education Department has ordered the institute to shut its pre-primary wing. Stating that it had violated guidelines, the department also decided to revoke the school's recognition for those classes.
However, as the move would leave close to 200 students in the lurch, the District Education Officer (DEO) has called for a meeting with parents at the school's premises on Wednesday, to talk about where the children could be shifted, while ensuring that the fees they paid, was also reimbursed.
â€śThe school has failed to fulfill the conditions laid down by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, Government of India (NCPCR) guidelines as per the report submitted by the deputy inspector of Schools, Golconda Mandal and deputy educational officer (DEO), Golconda zone, the competent authority hereby issue orders to close the pre-primary classes of the school with immediate effect,â€ť the DEO said in an official circular.
Meanwhile, in a separate development, the Hyderabad High Court also issued a notice to the institute after a petition asked it to implement basic safety measures for the children. After hearing the case, the bench gave the school ten daysâ€™ time to file a response.
Last month, the police arrested 29-year-man Mohammed Geelani, a supervisor at the school, for sexually assaulting the 4-year-old at the premises of the institute. He was booked under Section 376 (Rape) of the IPC and relevant sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) Act.
Following this, the management of the school had announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the parents of the 4-year-old survivor.
The Chairman of the institute also said that they would 'assist' her with her further education.