The ace shuttler said that even though her dad was confirmed as a team official before the event, his name wasn’t on the list.

Sainas threat to pull out of CWG if dad cant stay with her divides Twitter users
Social Sports Friday, April 06, 2018 - 16:15

On Monday, ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal took to Twitter to express her displeasure over her father, Harvir Singh Nehwal, not being allowed to stay with her at the Commonwealth Games, which are being held at Gold Coast, Australia.

Saina wrote in a series of tweets that her father had been confirmed as a team official before they left for the Commonwealth Games. She had apparently also paid for him to stay with her.

However, once at the Commonwealth village, she realised that neither was his name on the list of officials, nor could he stay with her, meet her or come see her matches.

“I wanted his support as I regularly take him for my competitions ...but i didn’t understand why nobody informed me all this earlier .. that he can’t enter anywhere (sic),” she tweeted.

In the days that have passed since, Harvir has received accreditation by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to stay with Saina, as she desired.

However, it is what led to IOA’s action which has put the 28-year-old shuttler at the centre of a controversy.

Saina reportedly wrote to the IOA after she tweeted about the incident. Her message read, “I msgd u and tried to call u but u didn’t pick up the call but there is so much issue going on with my father .. if his accreditation is not cleared as an official I am not going to play the matches.”

The IOA had reportedly explained why her father was not granted accommodation at the Commonwealth Village. They said that the payment for accreditation of Extra Official did not “include bed in the Games Village.”

Saina’s ‘threat’ to pull out of the Commonwealth Games unless her father was granted a place in the village has not gone down well with many.

Others, meanwhile, supported Saina.

When asked about the controversy recently, Saina stood her ground. Speaking to Indian Express, Saina said that this was about respect for her.

“When you tell me something, and when I am paying you the whole thing… but this is not about money, it is about respect. Imagine if your parent is there with you and made to look for a place to stay at midnight,” she said.

Her threat to pull out of the Commonwealth Games, she added, was an “emotional response” at the disrespect shown to her.

“If you want to say Saina is bad, then I am bad, for my parents,” Saina said. Why make him struggle, she questioned. "Make me struggle," she asserted.

Incidentally, Saina's father Harvir and PV Sindhu's mother Vijaya are among the 15 people who are cleared to be part of the Indian contingent, but their travel, stay and other expenses are not funded by the Indian government.

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.