Weeks after the deadly Nipah Virus gripped Kerala in a sudden state of fear and concern, the state health department said on Monday that no new cases were reported.
The health department said that apart from the 18 positive cases already reported, no new cases have been reported. Of the total 244 samples sent for testing, as many as 226 samples turned negative, the department said.
The state Health Department has confirmed that nobody has been affected with Nipah Virus since May 17.
In a press meet, Health Minister KK Shyalaja said that the anxieties about the second phase of Nipah Virus infection have been allayed. She, however, added that vigilance will continue until June 30 and the disease can be said to be under control only after that.
Dr Jayasree, District Medical Officer of Kozhikode told TNM, â€śAs of June 3, the number of confirmed cases remain as before. Out of earlier 18 confirmed cases, 16 have passed away. Including Sadikâ€™s death, it will be 17. Two people are under treatment. There are 2401 people in the contact list. 22 people are put under observation in the Kozhikode Medical College hospital.â€ť
Meanwhile, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said that although the outbreak of the virus had been contained, people need to continue to exercise caution.
He said that the work done by the state's health professionals in containing the disease's spread after its outbreak was encouraging and showed their commitment and dedication. This quick containment has not happened in countries where this virus attack had hit in the past, he added.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan told an all-party meeting held in Thiruvananthapuram that the government would foot the entire medical expenses of all those being treated for the infection at Kozhikode and Malappuram.
The treatment expenses will be reimbursed and the amount will be decided based on the Collectorâ€™s report.