news Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:30
Home Minister Rajnath Singh was forced to issue a clarification to the Lok Sabha saying that the Indian government will continue to pressure Pakistan on Dawood Ibrahim after a junior minister commented that they were unaware of the underworld don’s whereabouts.   According to an NDTV report, Dawood, India’s most-wanted man in the 1993 Mumbai blast case, is believed to be residing in Pakistan.   Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit has told news channels though that Ibrahim is not in Pakistan.   The BJP government came under fire from the opposition after junior Home Minister Haribhai Chaudhary replied to a question by Nityanand Rai indicating that the government does not have concrete information on the location of Ibrahim.   "The subject has not been located so far. Extradition process with regard to Dawood Ibrahim would be initiated once the subject is located,” Chaudhury said.   Chaudhury’s statements stood in contrast with Rajnath Singh’s remarks in December when he said action will be taken to bring Dawood back to India.   However, Rajnath Singh clarified that the government has “credible information” on Dawood and that “no stone will be left unturned in bringing him back”.   After investigating the possibilities of a “drafting error”, the minister clarified that the government knew Dawood is in Pakistan but not the exact location.   The Indian government has repeatedly asked the Pakistani government to hand Dawood over, while the latter has continued to deny the don’s presence in their country.

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.