news Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 05:30
Banned from cricket-related activities for life, Rajasthan Royals co-owner Raj Kundra has responded to the verdict of the Justice Lodha Committee, saying that he has been wronged, but added that the team should not suffer as a result. The Committee had been appointed by the Supreme Court to decide the quantum of punishment for Kundra, Gurunath Meiyappan, and fate of the two franchises. In a statement made on his website, the former shareholder of 11.74% stake in the IPL franchise alleges that he has been wronged in the verdict despite assisting the investigation. He adds that there was no evidence against him.  “Even the fact that neither the Delhi police nor Rajasthan police found any actionable case against me (for the obvious reasons that there was no evidence or material against me) has been used to make insinuations regarding my guilt for an act I never did,” says Kundra. “I have anyway washed my hands of cricket in India,” says the businessman, mentioning that his reputation had been sullied. Kundra also says that it is unfair for the entire team to bear the brunt for the “alleged actions” of a minority stakeholder. “I also find it very unfair that the full team, the other owners, the management team, the players and the fans of Rajasthan Royals have been so harshly treated due to the alleged actions of one minority stakeholder of 11.7%,” he ends. During their press conference on Tuesday, the SC-appointed Justice Lodha Committee said the following about Kundra: “He is a middle aged person-well educated and well informed- if he had true love for game, he would not have indulged in corrupt practice of betting and remained in touch with known punter and bookie and would have surely refrained from acting contrary to the sporting imperatives and against the spirit of the game and bringing the game to disrepute.”  

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.