A chemical engineering student of Manipal Institute of Technology died of burn injuries on Thursday afternoon.
Neham Agarwal hailing from Faridabad was found in a critical condition with severe burn injuries in the bathroom of his hostel in the wee hours of Thursday morning.
According to MIT director Dr GK Prabhu the incident occurred around 12.30AM on Thursday at Hostel Block No. X. The victim was found by caretakers and security guards. Neham was taken to Kasturba hospital. He was declared dead at 2:30PM, reported Manipal Journal.
The police and a forensic team will take necessary to bring out the truth, said Prabhu.
â€śThere is no clarity in what happened. While there are rumours going on about it being a suicide, there are others who are saying the heater in the bathroom could have burst,â€ť said a student, under condition of anonymity.
A couple of kerosene bottles were retrieved from the bathroom giving rise to speculation that it could be a suicide attempt, reported TOI.
â€śInvestigations are ongoing and the doctors will confirm what has happened thereâ€ť, said SV Girish, Police Inspector, Manipal Police Station.
According to Manipal Journal report, the body is currently at the Department of Forensic Medicine while the post-mortem report is yet to be released.
The journal quoted a source saying,â€śIt is a tense situation and such rumours should not circulate around. The director, joint director as well as the chief wardens have been present here since the incident occurred.â€ť